Christmas is definitely going to be very different this year, but we can keep our little traditions alive or even start new ones! We all have traditions, big or small, that mean a lot to us. I think during these weird times it’s helpful to keep some sense of normalcy in our lives. One of my favourite parts of Christmas is my family’s Christmas Eve – we eat lots of good food, hang out, play games, and in recent years we’ve also started opening gifts Christmas Eve instead of Christmas morning.
An appetizer staple that’s become a tradition over the years are my moms “Chicken Roll Ups”. We all love them and look forward to them as it’s the only time we eat them all year! Instead of using chicken like her recipe calls for, I swap chicken for mushrooms and it works like a charm.
I’ve veganized her recipe over the past few years and I think this years batch is my best yet! I promise you that this recipe is a major crowd pleaser – everyone always loves it.
- Cremini Mushrooms
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Vegan Mozza Shred
- Vegan Cheddar Shreds
- Green Onions
- Tex Mex (or spices to make your own! see below for details!)
A few notes…
Wraps: I used mini “The Real Coconut” wraps:
I recommend using regular sized gluten filled wraps if you aren’t gluten free because they cook and stay together a bit better and are easier to cut. These wraps do work well though and don’t crack like some gluten free wraps do!
I used Violife products as my dairy replacement because their ingredients are great for a vegan cheese and the taste is even better! I recommend using a vegan cheese that you enjoy, otherwise these won’t taste as great as they could – if you don’t like Daiya Brand then don’t use that for these!
If you’re really sensitive to spice feel free to omit the jalapeño or 1/2 the amount.
You can buy Tex Mex seasoning at the grocery store:
I made a homemade version this year though and not only is it healthier, but arguably also just as tasty!
- Red Pepper Flakes
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as me and my family! Maybe it will become one of your traditions too – let me know!
“Cheesy” Roll Ups (v/gf)
- 10 Wraps 10 mini or 5 regular size (I used mini The Real Coconut wraps)
- 2 Cups Cremini Mushrooms Diced
- 1 250 Block of Vegan Cream Cheese I used Violife
- 2 Cups Vegan Mozza Shreds I used Violife
- 2 Cups Vegan Cheddar Shreds I used Violife
- 2 Tbsp Jalapeño Chopped (less if sensitive to spice)
- 2 Green Onions Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tex Mex see below or use store bought
Homemade Tex Mex Seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 75% Your Favourite Salsa +
- 25% Vegan Sour Cream or Plain Coconut Yogurt I use yogurt – no one can tell the difference
- Add diced onions to a pan, sauté over medium/high heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Prepare and mix cream cheese, cheeses, jalapeño, & green onions.
- Prepare homemade Tex Mex in a separate bowl and then add 1 tbsp to start. If you like it add the rest! I use the whole mixture.
- When the mushrooms are ready mix them in to the mixture until everything is well combined.
- Get your wraps ready and scoop 1-2 Tbsp (for small wraps) on top. Roll tightly and wrap in foil/plastic wrap, or use a toothpick to hold them tightly together.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer until you're ready to serve.
- To cook: bake in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350F until lightly browned and cheese has melted. *If you use gluten free wraps I recommend baking them whole and then cutting them, but if you use regular wraps you can pre-cut into 1/2 inch slices before putting them in the oven.