Stuffed & packed with flavour, you don’t want to miss these.
These turned out better than I had originally imagined and I couldn’t be happier! I actually put off testing this recipe for a few days because I thought it might be complicated – boy was I wrong.
This recipe was quite simple to throw together and was ready in about 30 minutes
I love the flavour and meaty texture of cremini mushrooms. The chopped kale adds some colour and the texture pairs really well with the mushrooms & sun-dried tomatoes.
If sun-dried tomatoes are involved they are bound to be the star of any dish. In this case it’s a double whammy since that’s the flavour of the cheese and there are also added chunks. This savoury + creamy combo is seriously mouth-watering.
Not only is this recipe super flavourful and delicious, it’s also versatile! . If you’re looking for a fun and unique appetizer, look no further! Yes, that’s right! I think that this recipe is not only a great main, but a perfect (& unique) appetizer for dinner parties or the holidays. The shells hold together well and they aren’t messy to eat.
You could even have some fun with this recipe and change the flavours to make it your own.
I am aware not everyone will have access to the brand of cheese that I used so I make a few suggestions below. I plan to make my own cashew cheese soon so I will link it to this recipe when I do.
Jumbo “Cheese-y” Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 15 Large Pasta Shells I used 15 Tinkyáda Brown Rice Grand Shells (15 shells was not the whole box)
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Cremini Mushrooms Diced
- 2 Cups Greens (I used frozen Kale) Diced
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1/3 Cup (packed) Sun-Dried Tomatoes (1/3 cup is about 6-8)
- ~2/3 Container Zengarry Sun-Dried Tomato & Basil Cashew Cheese You can sub with another artisanal vegan cheese if you need to (just don't use somehting like daiya, make sure it's cashew based or make your own)
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Fill a pot with hot water for the pasta shells and place covered on the stove until water comes to a boil.
- When the water is boiling remove the lid and add the pasta shells. Cook according to package instructions.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes to a bowl with warm/hot water* Ensure that they are fully emerged.
- Add oil to a pan over med-high heat.
- Prepare mushrooms and greens and add them to your pre-heated pan. Add coconut aminos. Sautée for about 5 minutes and then turn off the heat. Add about 1/2 of your cheese and mix until well combined.
- Remove sun-dried tomatoes from the warm/hot water and dice. This step should occur when your pasta is almost ready. Add the diced sun-dried tomatoes to your mushroom, greens & cheese mixture and mix until combined.
- When your pasta is cooked gentrly rinse with cold water in a strainer.
- Use a spoon to add your veggie mixture to each shell individually and then top with a tiny scoop of "cheese" and place in your oven safe baking dish.**
- Bake for 10-15 minutes***
- Optional: sprinkle with red pepper flakes when it comes out of the oven before serving.