A spin on mashed potatoes that you won’t want to miss!
This is great to serve as a side or to add as a main part of a meal. Some of my favourite ways to eat it are paired with lentil “meatloaf” or “meatballs”, with portobello mushroom caps. I love this “lightened up” veggie packed version of this “mash” so much. This recipe is just as versatile as mashed potatoes and could probably fool someone if you served it in place of potatoes and didn’t tell them! My picky (and plain) younger brother even enjoys this recipe so that’s how I know it’s a winner.
Creamy Cauliflower Mashed
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 Large Cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2-4 Tbsp Plant-based Milk start with 2 and add as needed to create desired texture
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter I used Miyokos
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Oregano
- Pepper to taste
- Green Onion diced
- Steam your cauliflower until you can gently poke a knife or fork through. This can take anywhere from 7-15 minutes depending on how you steam it (cut up, whole, on the stove top, or in the microwave). *see notes for two methods.
- Let the steamed cauliflower cool for a minute and then place on a clean dishtowel. Fold half of the dishtowel over the cauliflower and press down. The purpose of this is to remove any excess liquid from the cauliflower so that the finished products resembles mashed potatoes and not cauliflower soup!
- Add all ingredients to the blender except the green onion (that is for topping) and start with only 2 Tbsp of the milk.
- Blend in a highspeed blender, food processor, or with a hand blender until smooth and well combined.
- Bon Appétit!
- Stovetop: Fill your pot with enough water to come just below your steamer basket. Set the steamer basket in the pot. Bring the water to a boil. Add your caulifower, (I like to cut into florets because it is easier and faster, but you can also leave it whole). Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook until tender.
- Microwave: add cauliflower florets to a microwavable steamer and splash with a bit of water. Place lid and microwave, beginning with 5 minutes and adding time as needed.